Pack and Move > Moving to USA

Moving to USA

Pack and Move offers a cost effective/No Frills door to door solution for your cross border moves to our friendly neighbors to the south, the United States of America.

By utilizing our ECONOCUBE SHIPPING CONTAINERS, customers are able to have their goods picked up from their door in Canada and shipped directly to their residence in the USA.

ECONOCUBE Containers were specially designed to keep your personal effects and household goods safe during cross border and long distance transport. Customers can either choose to have Pack and Move‘s staff arrange for pick up and professional packing of the Econocube containers, OR you can make an appointment to deliver your goods to one of their depots and have them load the containers for you.

At destination, the ECONOCUBES will be delivered and dropped off at your residence. Pack and Move follows GOOD PRACTICE GUIDELINES FOR CANADIAN MOVERS.

  • Household goods and personal effects are permitted to enter the U.S.duty-free providing they have been in your possession and used by you for a minimum of one year. Therefore you would not want to ship anything in brand new boxes from the Brick or Leon’s for example.
  • U.S. Customs can confiscate items and assess either duties, taxes as well as a fine on any items that are not properly declared or under-declared.
  • Antiques must be 100 years or older to be eligible for duty-free entry. Customs will require that you prove this, so be prepared to furnish a receipt or an appraisal.
  • While it is not normal practice to charge duty on used personal items, some items such as photographic equipment, vehicles, consumable items etc. may be dutiable. Check with the nearest U.S. Consulate in your area for specific information. If you are already in the U.S, contact your nearest Customs Office listed in U.S. telephone directory under: U.S. Government Offices, Treasury Department.
Crossing the Border
To clear your household goods shipment through U.S. Customs, Pack and Move will require copies of the following documentation:
For Returning US Residents

  • Completed 3299 Customs Form
  • Valid Passport
For Non-Residents

  • Completed 3299 Customs Form
  • Work or Study Visa and Letter of Offer of Employment (if applicable)
  • Valid Passport
  • Copy of I94 form that US Customs inserts in your passport upon entry
For Part-time Residents

  • Completed 3299 Customs Form
  • Proof of Property Ownership or Lease in US
  • Valid Passport
  • Proof of Canadian residence: property deed, property tax records, utility bills, etc.

It is not necessary for customers to be present when our trucks are crossing the border. Provided we are in possession of proper documentation, and there are no inspections or assessments, we should be able to get the shipment delivered to your residence without any hitches. If there is a problem, the shipment will be placed ‘IN BOND’ to the closest customs office to your new home. In that case, you will be required to personally appear to clear your goods.

Unless you are a returning US Resident, you need to enter the United States before your shipment arrives at the border. It is important for people entering on a work/study visa to have completed the immigration process so that your status is properly established. When you personally enter/cross into the US and your work visa is determined to be in order, US customs will put an I94 document in your passport. You must provide Pack and Move with a copy of this document to prove that you have been granted entry into the United States.

US Customs will verify this information when our truck arrives at the border. If there is any problem with your immigration status, US Customs may turn your shipment back. As a result, you will incur additional charges for border delays, the cost of returning your shipment to origin and storage until the matter is sorted out.

Useful Contacts

Customs Contact Information
U.S. Customs Office
Washington, DC
203-325-8000 or 1-877-227-5511

Immigration and Visa Information
US Citizenship and Immigration Service
Arlington, VA


contact us
Pack and Move